After the Black Bean Brownies recipe that I shared last week, I thought I might share another nice treat for the holiday season! I love the creaminess of avocados, and in this recipe even those who don’t like avocado by itself (like my kids, unfortunately) will enjoy their goodness!
- 180 gr / 6 oz. dark chocolate
- 90 gr / 1/3 cup mashed avocado (about 1 small avocado)
- 1/2 ts vanilla extract (or 1/8 ts ground vanilla)
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp orange peel / honey (optional) *
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder or shredded coconut, for rolling (optional)
- Melt the chocolate with the vanilla extract and pinch of salt in an oven safe bowl over a small saucepan with cooking water. Mash the avocado with a fork until no lumps are visible, then stir it into the melted chocolate mixture until smooth and thickened. Place in the fridge to set for 20 minutes, or until slightly firm to the touch.
- Once the mixture has been chilled and is slightly firm, use a tablespoon to scoop the chocolate into small balls. Roll them through cacao powder (on a plate) and roll the balls between the palms of your hand to create an smooth surface.
- Store in a box in the fridge.
* this is my twist on the recipe. Whenever we eat organic oranges, I grate of the peel first and mix with honey in a jar, which keeps well in the fridge, ready to use in recipes like this.